photo Home_transparent2.png  photo About_notbold.png  photo Speaking_Transparent.png  photo VirtualAssisting_transparent.png  photo Archives_transparent.png  photo Contact_transparent.png

Friday, March 1, 2013

The Irresistible Table: A Review




For over a year now I’ve been studying the Biblical theology of food. Meals to be exact. Tim Chester says, 
 If you hope to be living missionally with intention, then meals will be a strategic part of what you do.

And that leads me to Mary DeMuth’s new cookbook, The Irresistible Table. Mary’s cookbook is centered around community and that deeply resonates with my heart for mission. For me that creates a special place for her recipes distinguished from other books like it. 

What I also loved about The Irresistible Table is the variety of recipes. Unlike many of the cookbooks in my kitchen that are either all from-scratch recipes or all semi-homemade recipes, Mary offers a variety of both. As someone who loves to cook healthy things from scratch but has a full life that doesn’t always allow it, the combination is perfect.

When we had a cold snap in Central Florida a few weeks ago, I knew it was the perfect time to try some of Mary’s recipes. I made Mary’s Clam Chowder and Whole Wheat Cornbread. The chowder with it’s cream and bacon, among other things, was slightly sweet, rich, and warm. My husband thought it was the best clam chowder I had ever made and even brought the leftovers into work to share with his coworkers. The combination with the corn bread made for a hearty comforting meal that was just perfect for a cold night. I can hardly wait to try more of Mary’s recipes. 

If you’re interested in combining food and community, The Irresistible Table is a great place to start.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment