photo Home_transparent2.png  photo About_notbold.png  photo Speaking_Transparent.png  photo VirtualAssisting_transparent.png  photo Archives_transparent.png  photo Contact_transparent.png

Friday, February 15, 2013

Praying for His Parenting (5-Day Challenge)

(This week we're doing Kathi Lipp's 5-Day Pray for Your Man Challenge to rock our Valentine's Day. It's not too late to join us.)


Don't have kids? Pray for your future children or for your husband to use his time wisely as Rob recommends.  All of us could be better at that.

 Contributed by Rob Tiegen
 
When Kathi invited me to share some thoughts on how wives can pray for their husbands in their fathering I was excited but a bit overwhelmed.  There are countless ways each man needs prayer as a father, so in ten seconds I had thought of ten different things that I would love to know my wife was praying for me about.

As I continued to think it through, I decided to focus on just one thing -- time.  This is something that God has been burdening my heart with in my own life lately.  I would be encouraged to know that  my wife was standing in the gap and holding me up in prayer as I face the challenge of making ample time to spend with our kids.

I've been reading a great book titled Sticky Faith:  Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids by Dr. Kara E. Powell and Dr. Chap Clark.  The authors include disheartening statistics about the 40 to 50 percent of "church kids" who leave their faith behind in the college years.   As a father who is trying to raise my kids in the Lord that is a hard statistic to hear.  I desperately need prayer to make time with my kids, because time leads to relationship, and relationship opens the door to sharing my faith with my children through each stage, age, and challenge that comes their way.

As important as it is to work hard to provide for our families, to set an example of service to our churches and communities, to stay physically fit, and to connect with our wives, kids desperately need their dad's time so they can receive love, spiritual guidance, and training.  Deuteronomy 6:6-7 says, "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." (ESV)  The passage is assuming the father is sitting, walking, and ending and beginning his day with his kids.  The deep truths of our faith are passed on during intentional time together.

Wives, your husband will benefit so much from your prayers and encouragement with this.  Pray for your husband to have a heart to spend time with your kids. Since you probably organize the family calendar, make room for him to take each child out for some one-on-one time.  When you see him making a positive connection with your son or daughter, point it out and be his cheerleader.  We need to know that our wives are in our corner praying for us and encouraging us to keep pressing on with our kids, even when it's hard.  Ask God to create opportunities for us to pass on our faith, and for opportunities for you to be an encouragement to him as well.  Your love and support mean more to us than you can know.  Thanks for praying!

Friends -this is Kathi. I want to take the verse that Rob shared with us above and pray it for the men in our lives today:
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 says, "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." (ESV)
Heavenly Father, I pray that your words, your love, your direction would flow through my husband's heart. I pray that my husband would find time in each day to pass on your wisdom to our kids. Lord, let every moment they spend together be something to grow both my husband's heart and my child's heart toward you. And Father, show me ways every single day to call out those things in my husband that are your way - your good and perfect way. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment