photo Home_transparent2.png  photo About_notbold.png  photo Speaking_Transparent.png  photo VirtualAssisting_transparent.png  photo Archives_transparent.png  photo Contact_transparent.png

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

4 Practical Ways to Change a Broken World


 I'm notoriously good at having a plan and even better at not sharing said plan with my husband.

On the night of the election I planned to not learn the results until the next morning. Nothing would be final until later than I cared to pay attention to the news. And I could wake up with a clear mind and a new day, prepared for whatever laid ahead. But just as we were laying down to sleep Jason told me the current state of the results. And I lost it.


I lost it because my (secret) plan had been dismantled. I lost it because I feared the current state and the future of our country. And I lost it because in times of great emotions it can be hard to remember Who is in control.

The next morning and day were filled with anxiety for me as I know was true for some of you. But as the days and weeks went on I became certain of two things. I continue to want more quiet, less news feeds, and less yelling voices and opinions in my life. And I am more convinced that what we do in our everyday ordinary lives matters more than ever.

Like you, I do not know the future of our country or what the new term will bring. But I do know for too long the church has rejected much of what it's commanded to be in society. We should be a lighthouse. A place of healing and hospitality for a all. A refuge where souls (and bodies) can be fed. Below are some commands from scripture that when obeyed, I truly believe would revive our nation.
"Sometimes hospitality is just giving people a place to be when otherwise they would be alone." -Shanua Niequist

4 Practical Ways to Change a Broken World:

  1. Love your literal neighbors (Mark 12:31). Who lives closest to you? What do they need? Food? Companionship? An invite to dinner? Make it a point to be in relationship with those geographically nearest to you. It's no accident you're there.
  2. Show hospitality to strangers (Hebrews 13:2). Thanksgiving week is the perfect time to begin this. People are exceptionally lonely during the holidays and you wont have to look far to find people eager to to dine with other and receive an invite into someone's home. Plus Jesus did this regularly and if we aim to be more like Him...
  3. Care for orphans and widows (James 1:27). Scripture is referring to meeting physical needs here. It is preposterous for you to expect the elderly widow down the street to want to hear a Gospel presentation if she is starving or can't pay her electric bill. Same with the single mother. And when it comes to orphan care my friend from an adoptions agency says, "not everyone is called to adopt but everyone is called to do something." There is no need for a single child in America to be in foster care with the number of Christian churches in our country.
  4. Defend the weak and uphold the poor and oppressed (Psalm 82:3). This is a reoccurring theme throughout scripture and an area I continually seek to grow in. Lori and Shannan are doing this really well and the Upside Down Podcast is another good resource. 
As Christians our faith should inform our politics. Not the other way around. How are you being a part of the solution in your world?


No comments:

Post a Comment