I’m in a busy season right now and will be through at least mid-March. Perhaps you’ve noticed by my deviation from a regular posting schedule. So how do we thrive during life’s busiest times? The tips below are how I’ll make it through these busy months:
1. Time with God: In life’s busiest season’s our relationship with God is often the first one we neglect. Don’t have an hour? Thirty minutes? Even fifteen minutes? Then start smaller. Give God one to five minutes. I’ve found that the scripture calendar on my desk is really helpful with this. If I read one scripture first thing in the morning it makes me aware of God’s presence all day and leaves me longing more for him. Another thing I’m trying out is scheduling an appointment with Jesus on my calendar. It sounds cheesy but it may prove to be very effective. I’ll keep you posted.
2. Refuel: Do yoga. Go to Starbucks. Get a pedicure. Take a nap. Read a lot. Give yourself permission to do whatever it takes to recharge physically, emotionally and spiritually. Then DO IT.
3. Get Help: We were not meant to do life alone and busy season’s make this even more evident. Unashamedly ask for/get help. In busy seasons the cleanliness of my house suffers most. This is when I splurge on professional housecleaning through Groupon and Living Social.
4. Take the Easy Way Out: Last night my husband and I had hotdogs, tater tots, and crudités for dinner. We don’t have kids…but this meal worked for us in this season because it was easy. If there’s an area that’s tough for you in busy seasons feel free to cut back and do what takes the least time and energy.
5. Create Margin: If all your energies are focused on a big project, personal suffering, someone else’s need, etc. feel free to say “No,” to everything else. This will give you margin for steps 1 and 2.
So how do you thrive in busy seasons?